Pyrgiotika Village

Perivoli Country Hotel & Retreat welcomes you to the village of Pyrgiotika (also Pirgiotika) on the eastern side of the Argolis, on Nafplio-Epidaurus National Road, about 6 km from the city of Nafplio.

Pyrgiotika took its name from the village of Pyrgaki, Gortynia in the prefecture of Arcadia, as the original village residents used to be shepherds from Arcadia. Since the winters in Arcadia were particularly severe, the sheep had to descend to the lowlands where the climate was milder. Thus, the shepherds from Pyrgaki chose this site for their sheeps' grazing during the harsh winters. In the summer, they would return to Gortynia where the climate was cool, but over the years many families of the shepherds built houses and from 1910 the village became the place of their permanent residence and took the name Pyrgiotika.

Built amphitheatrically at an altitude of 120 meters, the village today counts 278 permanent residents and is known for its green plains and its five churches, with the historic chapel of Agios Ioannis Chrysostomos standing out.

 

MORE SIGHTS